In my days at Concordia University, Portland, I spent a semester as the editor of the college paper, Manna. When that time ended, I collaborated with a few other students and produced an underground paper called, The Jester's Flame.
The paper's name was inspired by Martin Luther, beginner of the Reformation movement in history. In the open letter to the Church Nobility An Open Letter to The Christian Nobility, Luther states: "I shall offer no apologies, no matter who may chide me. Perchance I owe my God and the world another pie of folly, and I have now made up my mind honestly to pay that debt, if I can do so, and for once to become court jester; if I fail, I still have one advantage, -- no one need buy me a cap or cut me my comb."
The concept of the "Flame" is pretty simplistic. It's a flame as in a light or a torch to bear.
At that time in my life, I was quite frustrated with the state of the university. They no longer became a serious institution for preparation for Seminary, but rather the main focus of their education, was towards "Liberal Arts." I was ignorant in my decision to attend there to pursue the course of call into pastoral ministry. While attending Concordia, it was my belief that the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod had a big disconnect with preparing men into entering the pastoral ministry through this institution. At least in my opinion. I do know some that graduated and have proceeded into the pastoral ordination. I know several too, that lost sight of that call or perhaps never really had the call into being a pastor. I cannot speak for them.
The paper was filled with editorials as well various poetry, art, cartoons and letters from students that wanted to express their feelings, struggles, and issues. It was not the first time an underground paper had been distributed on campus, as there were others such as The Undercurrent.
Eventually, I left the school as I had bigger demons to face in my life than trying to buck a system that wasn't going to change based on a few people's opinions- especially those with no sense of the business of the college or financially influence of the board. To be honest, I don't know if my cause was really a just one, but I have no regrets, no apologies and can see that it's been a big part of my journey in life to have experienced these struggles in ministry.
I've always enjoyed the name, "The Jester's Flame," and so I believe it's an appropriate title for my blog. My young, attitude towards revolutionizing the church has gone away. As much as I love solving problems, I now longer have the drive to spend my efforts controlling other's lives or putting energy into something that really isn't going to make a difference. I'll post on occasion my thoughts on things around me and maybe even give a commentary about why something shouldn't be done. But I'm not going to force anything on anyone. In that same manner, if I don't like a person's comment and find it's counterproductive, I'm going to delete it from here. After all, this is my playground. My general rules are for playing: respect others, appropriate language, different opinions work fine but let's move the conversation forward too, to assist in defining a tone to your comments, sarcasm needs to be in a green font color. Finally, I have the right to refuse service to anyone.
As for me, I do believe God is calling me into the ministry and He always has been. How exactly that is going to be defined is yet unknown. What I do know is this, God would not have taken me through the journey He has, if it was without a purpose. The miracles He has done in my life were done more for just my own joy and knowledge of them. I am His glory! If I would not speak of these great things to others, would be a waste. Instead, I am to share and encourage others of His great joy and peace He gives us.

No comments:
Post a Comment